The TraumaMan® System includes four primary areas for practicing surgical skills:
The abdominal area can be used for practicing diagnostic peritoneal lavage (catheter or open). For this procedure, the TraumaMan® System includes a simulated abdominal tissue structure. Underlying the tissue structure, is a fluid reservoir that can be filled with clear water or water and red coloring depending on the desired response.
- Allows instructors to provide DPL training - both open and closed techniques
- The replaceable abdominal tissue includes skin, subcutaneous fat, fascia, preperitoneal fat, and peritoneum
- The Abdominal Tissue Set is designed for two open procedures below the umbilicus
- The system is designed for infusion and removal of lavage fluids
Chest tube insertion, pericardiocentesis, and needle decompression are procedures which can be performed on the trainer in this area. In addition to the simulated tissue structure on the exterior of the chest, the trainer includes additional tissue structure in the form of a layer of simulated tissue to mimic the intercostal muscle and the parietal pleura. To be more lifelike the trainer also includes airflow inside the pleura for a realistic response during a procedure plus inflatable lungs to simulate breathing, and ribs.
For pericardiocentesis, a sternum, ribs, a heart and additional pericardium tissue structure are included. The heart and pericardium can be filled with simulated bodily fluids to mimic the real life procedure. For needle decompression, TraumaMan includes the clavicle and rib landmarks and the pressurized pleural space - which simulates tension pneumothorax - that is self-sealing for multiple uses.
- TraumaMan is designed to allow for the chest tube insertion into the fourth and fifth intercostal space on both sides of the torso, allowing four students to complete the procedure on each tissue
- It will take a significant amount of force to enter the pleural cavity and a very familiar popping sound can be heard when the parietal pleura is penetrated
- When a finger is inserted into the cavity, the inflation and deflation of the delicate lung tissue can be felt
- Once the tube is inserted into the correct position there will be airflow at the distal end of the tube
- The skin is designed to feel like live tissue when sutured, allowing the student to suture the tube into place.
- The pericardial sac is pre-filled with pericardial fluid and is in the correct anatomical position with respect to the ribs and the xiphoid process
- The pericardiocentesis can be performed between 50 to 100 times before needing to refill the pericardial sac
- Needle Decompression can also be performed between 50 to 100 times, at which point the air bladder can be replaced
Both Cricothyroidotomy and Percutaneous Tracheostomy can be performed on this part of the trainer. In addition to the simulated human tissue structure on the exterior of the neck, the trainer includes a simulated cricoid cartilage, thyroid cartilage, cricothyroid ligament, and trachea in this area. To be more lifelike the trainer also includes airflow in the trachea for a realistic response during a practice procedure.
- Includes the Thyroid and Cricoid cartilage which can be palpated through the neck tissue
- The system is designed for either needle or surgical cricothroidotomy
- Similar to a real procedure, when the cricothyroid membrane is cut, there will be an audible “pop” and there will be a rush of air
- Each tissue set should be used for two student procedures, and then it can be replaced with a new neck tissue set
The ankle base can be used to practice intravenous cutdown. The trainer includes skin, fat and muscle layers, simulated blood flow, and the greater saphenous vein for a realistic practice procedure.
Ankle Base Features:
- Includes the medial melleolus and tibia bone landmarks
- The greater saphenous vein and saphenous nerve are anatomically positioned allowing the student to cannulate the vein as they would on a human patient
- The vein is pre-filled with simulated blood to give the student a realistic experience during the catheterization process
- The tissue is designed to feel very realistic during suturing at the completion of the exercise
- Each tissue set should be used for two student procedures, and then it can be replaced with a new ankle tissue set
FAST and eFAST Exams
The SonoSkin™ Wearable with FAST and eFAST is a trainer that is compatible with the TraumaMan System. It provides an excellent tool to learn to read a FAST (Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma) and the extended FAST exam. This trainer allows the user to learn about:
- Landmarks on the body are used for identification of window locations for the exam
- Reading and understanding the various normal and abnormal views:
- FAST Module includes five patient image and video libraries for each window (two normal and three abnormal)
- eFAST Module includes five patient image and video libraries for each window (two normal and three abnormal)
With two versions of each image - student and mentor - the user has access to an annotated version of each image. In addition to the mentor version, which provide a standard explanation, the "Instructor" mode allows the instructor to include additional annotations. SONORIO also provides longitudinal views of both the pericardial and pelvic windows and a video for each window of each patient.
While the TraumaMan System is perfectly suited to the needs of Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) courses, the System is also a great tool for emergency and general medicine, and surgical training, including suturing, knot tying and incisions. In addition to Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage, the Abdominal Tissue Set can also be used to perform a Bowel Anastomosis - either laparoscopically or open. Fill the abdominal reservoir with fluid, place a simulated bowel section in the abdominal reservoir, and begin the procedure. To practice knot tying at depth, attach a hook to the bottom of the abdominal reservoir. Students can practice abdominal incisions and suturing the layers of the abdominal tissue set. The Chest Tissue Set is a great tool for practicing suturing and knot tying. The tissue provides a realistic touch and feel, and its fluid reservoirs can serve as a great simulation of vessels for the student to suture around.