This pediatric lumbar puncture trainer simulates a two week old baby that can be positioned either lateral or decubitus. The body form is anatomically correct with a partial iliac crest and umbilicus. The replaceable tissue has L3 – L5 vertebrae with a partial sacrum and the gluteal crest. Each tissue includes a spinal cord filled with simulated CSF and the epidural venous plexus filled with simulated blood.
- Use of the lateral decubitus and sitting positions for pediatric lumbar puncture
- Palpate external landmarks
- Proper technique for lumbar puncture (spinal tap) procedure on an infant
- Anatomically correct two week old infant with flexible body form
- Ultrasound compatible
- Visible and palpable landmarks include umbilicus, gluteal fold, iliac crest and vertebrae
- Insertion sites include L3-L4 and L4-L5
- Simulator can be positioned then flexed in the lateral decubitis or sitting position
- Flexible body form adds realism when flexing the infant - simulating moving the interspinous process from a neutral to open position
- Accurate needle placement allows for positive response and collection of simulated cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)
- Simulated epidural venous plexus and bony spinous process provides user with feedback for improper needle placement
- Size: 13"x3"x2"
- Weight: 6 lbs