This pediatric lumbar puncture trainer simulates a two week old baby that can be positioned either in the lateral decubitus position or held upright in the sitting position. The body form is anatomically correct with an iliac crest and umbilicus. The replaceable tissue has L3 – L5 vertebrae with a sacrum and the gluteal fold. Each tissue includes a spinal cord filled with simulated CSF and the epidural venous plexus filled with simulated blood.
- Use of the lateral decubitus and sitting positions for pediatric lumbar puncture
- Palpate external landmarks
- Proper technique for lumbar puncture (spinal tap) procedure on an infant
- Anatomically correct two week old infant with flexible body form
- Ultrasound compatible
- Visible and palpable landmarks include umbilicus, gluteal fold, iliac crest and vertebrae
- Insertion sites include L3-L4 and L4-L5
- Simulator can be positioned then flexed in the lateral decubitis or sitting position
- Flexible body form adds realism when flexing the infant - simulating moving the interspinous process from a neutral to open position
- Accurate needle placement allows for positive response and collection of simulated cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)
- Simulated epidural venous plexus and bony spinous process provides user with feedback for improper needle placement
- Size: 13"x3"x2"
- Weight: 6 lbs